Hooded False Morel Mushroom

Return To Non-Edible Mushroom Menu

Non Edible Mushrooms

Hooded False Morel, Vancouver Island, BC
Hooded False Morel, Vancouver Island, BC, photo by Bud Logan

The Hooded False Morel Mushroom is poisonous. It is very poisonous. This fungi grows solitary or in small groups among the conifer forests of the Pacific Northwest. It can be found in most parts of North America. Its season is from November to April and is a winter mushroom that can grow under the snow.

The cap is a reddish-brown to a dark brown, saddle-shaped with various wrinkles that get more pronounced as it matures, it is up to 15 cm wide. The flesh is thin and very brittle. The underside of this mushroom is a lighter brown color. The stalk is off white to buff, very smooth and from 5 to 10 cm long, tapering a bit at the bottom.

Hooded False Morel, Vancouver Island, BC
Hooded False Morel, Vancouver Island, BC, photo by Bud Logan

Some people will eat these following a very stringent set of rules for cooking them. But in my eyes this mushroom is deadly poisonous and should never be eaten, do not even smell these fungi to avoid getting a poisonous reaction. It contains the toxin, monomethylhydrazine, which can cause death. The toxin M.M.H., that is found in this mushroom is the same chemical used to fuel rockets into outer space.

This mushroom is so poisonous that even the fumes from cooking it can kill you, please just look at this guy, then leave it alone.

Return To Non-Edible Mushroom Menu

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.